Thursday, April 12, 2012

Little Compositions

It's midnight. I should either be doing homework or sleeping. As you may be able to tell, at this moment I'm doing approximately none of those things. I just had another unremarkable day. Worked on four projects, and had confidence with none of them. Stayed on campus until 11. But. I did so in the company of two classmates, and you know what? It was nice. It was good to spend some quiet time around them while we slogged ahead with our assignments, with the odd bout of chatter that would rise up and pop like a bubble before we got back to work. And right now, on this evening where the ends of my weathered rope are particularly frayed and their hold uncertain... I feel okay about things.

Dare I say, I'm even looking forward to fourth year. Not because of my skill or ability or the assignments or being close to being done. Hell, it's still far too soon to be excited for that last part. But I'm excited because I'll get to spend some time around some interesting, decent people. Sure, we may not be the best of friends, and the close connections I particularly long for are pretty scarce... But it's been really amazing to see some of them grow as designers and people. Seeing this amazing talent emerge from unexpected places, and how excited it makes the people that get to wield those new-found skills. With each step it feels like I drift a bit further behind, but I love being able to witness that kind of enthusiasm and creativity. And we're all still able to laugh and work together. It's nice being part of something like that, even as someone that always finds himself in the spectator's seat.

Above all else, I find I'm excited at the possibility of having a ukulele, second-hand electric keyboard, a melodica, and a beaten-all-to-hell guitar floating around the studio. Maybe even a drum of some sort, and finally a minifridge. That's the kind of stuff that will stand out as the best part of an education.

I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. But for now, that's okay. It's nice to have something that you know you can look forward to.
-Cril

Orbital - Waving Not Drowning

No comments: