Sunday, March 28, 2010

Laugh to beat the band

This week I discovered that my radiator has developed a leak. I found out purely by accident, and I'm lucky I figured it out when I did - there was barely any antifreeze left in the reservoir. I could've ended up in a really ugly situation... I should probably sign up for AMA one of these days. Anyways, I got a quote for ~$300, which includes parts and labour. Sigh, get 'er done and out of the way, I suppose. At least it's still drivable in the mean time. I'm gunna need summer tires soon too. Bah.

I was thinking about getting a scooter for the summer. With the initial cost of purchase and the needed supplies/gear, it won't pay for itself within the next four years. I thought about maybe just uninsuring the car over the summer to save some cash (I figure it costs me ~$150/mo, not including maintenance). Alas, my company is moving, and I don't think it'll be easily accessible by bus or bike. I'm thinking I'll work 10hr days this summer (arrive an hour early, work an hour late), and those extra two hours a day will more than make up for car expenses. Still...

It occurred to me this week that next semester, with five studio classes a week, pretty much means I won't get to work at all on weekdays. That leaves Saturday for 8hrs or so of work, and I try to avoid working on Sunday if I can. I usually end up using it for school assignments. I need to tally up the costs of the last 12months once this semester ends, so that I can get an idea of what I'm up against next year if I don't work. I have the unavoidable desire to go through school without any students loans. And, if I could maintain 10-20hrs of work a week, like I've done this past year, that'd be doable. But if I can't work at all next year... Maybe I need a raise. Or two.

There's now thirty days left in the year. I'll be glad to have it over with, but at the same time... There's no way the summer can possibly live up to what I hope it will be. When you go so long without doing the things you want to do, you build a fairly unrealistic expectation for your first shot at free time. It's getting to the point where I'm prioritizing the games and movies and shows and books I want to get through, because there's no possible way I can do it all in two months.

Sketch-ink

It makes me feel so restless and nervous. The next twelve months scare me, never mind the next forty days.
-Cril


Look at yourself, if you had a sense of humor
You would laugh to beat the band
Look at yourself, do you still believe the rumor
That romance is simply grand?

Since you took it right on the chin
You have lost that bright toothpaste grin
My mental state is all a-jumble
I sit around and sadly mumble

Billy Holiday - Glad to Be Unhappy

1 comment:

Frank said...

Hey, at least you have a plan. A good one, too.

Nice drawing man. Look up a guy named Jae Lee.